Monday, December 3, 2012

Slainte (to-your-health) and Cheers to the August Chaos.

Is anyone else out there wondering, where did the summer go? I've got I-want-summer-to-stay syndrome...badly.
So far this August, I've tried to squeeze in the state fair, the Bristol Renaissance Faire, and a whirl-wind trip to Door County, WI before my daughter goes back to college and my son back to school. Oh and guess what, tomorrow the world's largest Celtic Festival, Irish Fest, begins at the Milwaukee Summerfest grounds! Yeah!!!
My family and I look forward to Irish Fest all year. We are in the parade, daily. We usually sponsor a team for the run/walk for arthritis research the Saturday of the Fest. This year we're sponsoring two teams: Team East-West Connection Martial Arts and Wellness studio and Team Macski's Highland Haggis. So much fun and so much, well, time.
I registered my son for school today, decided on haggis shirts and logo for the Labor Day Highland Games, waited for my husband's EKG and blood work results (he's having out-patient surgery in September) and then had an Oh Shi* moment when I realized, at 2:05pm, that it's the third Wednesday of the month and my day to blog.
So here I am, blogging.
I really thought when I gave up going to court every day that my days would be less hectic and I'd get more done. They are. And, I do, for the most part. And then there's August...sigh. The month where everything gets squeezed in as we try, or at least I try, to eek out every minute of family togetherness before my daughter gets all wrapped up in school and labs and the chaos every bright, overly stressed, college student experiences.
There's also the desire to live every minute of daylight August has to offer and enjoy the cooling nights while their softness lasts. So, friends, my blog today is about that welcome chaos the end of summer brings. I love this time of year where festivals and being outside are ends in themselves, where we reap the early harvest from our gardens or the local farmer's market, where I am reminded more particularly than any other time of year besides winter break and the Christmas season, of the importance of being with my family in every moment.
I've been to Irish Fest every year since it's creation in 1981. First with my parents. Then with my husband and my parents. Then with my husband, my children and my parents. Sadly, my parents can no longer negotiate the expansive and crowded grounds, so now it's my family and me. Some day, in the not so distant future, I will be going with my husband, our children and our grandchildren. Hopefully by then we will be living at least part of the year in Argyll and part of the year in New Mexico. No matter where we end up, for four days every August I will live with my family at Irish Fest.
Summer is important for many reasons, but the most important is the added time with my family. August in particular, because these are the days when family bonding is clear and immediate. These are the days memories are not only made, but solidified. It's a time to reap the seeds we've sown from early days sent enjoying time together. I've enjoyed the early summer calm and even the late summer chaos. I hope I'll be enjoying that chaos every August for the rest of my life, with my family around me.
So I raise a proverbial glass to you and whatever makes you revel in joy this August as I say: Slainte! (to your health).
My Scottish Blessing to you: In every moment of chaos may you be blessed with loving family...may the chaos flee quickly and the loving remain...may you live every day with a festival in your heart, music in your soul and a dance in your step.
What does August and the ending of summer bring to you? What summer traditions fill you with quiet pleasure or jolts of joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment