Friday, March 18, 2011

Six times down, Seven times Up.

I am writing this blog today more for the practice, this is my first time, than for the content.  That said, the content is vitally important to everyone who ever has or ever will succeed in one's given endeavors, no matter where on the path we find ourselves.  The journey really is the point.  Destinations keep changing.

This is clear in martial arts practice where a true practitioner screws up (think Jackie Chan out-takes) and must jump back up and figure it out.  Then it's on to the next mistake and we fix that too, and so on, etc. Nothing like falling on your tail, or getting the wind knocked out of you to keep the ego in check and the hands up protecting while you edge your way in for your attack.

This concept may be easier for those of us used to making mistakes, shrugging it off (hopefully after we learn from it) and moving on to the next step on the path.  This is especially true for writers who constantly, no matter how successful, face rejection and uncertainty.  We get so used to hearing "Not Interested", "No, Thank You" or my personal favorite, "Love the Story.  Writing's Great.  We just can't sell it. Send me the Next One".  Yea.  Right.  Good wine, soft cheese, chocolate, bubble bath, a good cry and then get up tomorrow and start something new. 

This works for me most of the time.  Sometimes the rejection is more acute and brushing it off takes days.  When this happens I'm lucky.  I get to go to the dojo, surrounded by people I respect and trust and have not only an affinity for, but, a deep and abiding loyalty and then I get to punch and kick at them until I can barely suck air into my raw, burning lungs.  Something about this soothes my savage beast and puts everything back into perspective.  The planets align and I can once again breathe without being heart-sick.

In our dojo you get knocked down six times, you get up seven.  It's the best way to roll with the punches I know.  How about you?  In this time of rampant greed and unprecedented hardship for middle America, what helps you get back up when you stumble? 

Hope I get better at this blogging thing.  Stay tuned and find out.  Happy Journey and Keep on Getting back Up.

Leigh 






 

4 comments:

  1. How true! There's nothing like kicking out the jams to get over what would otherwise be time spent wallowing in self pity. While everyone can see that the martial arts trains your body, only those who participate know how it trains your mind and spirit as well. Rock on my budo warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dirt Digger,
    How right you are. Self pity is not something that helps move any of us forward. Hitting and Bashing and those elbows to tender areas help move me forward! Punch on, my friend and let's hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this applies to me. This concept may be easier for those of us used to making mistakes, shrugging it off (hopefully after we learn from it) and moving on to the next step on the path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cian, what's the issue, my friend? You sound like you are moving forward.

    ReplyDelete